About Julia Nance Portraits
Hi, I'm Julia
A Portrait Photographer
Capturing people at their best is my thing!
I love showing my clients that photographs aren't as scary as they sometimes feel. My job is to remind you that individuality is beautiful, and together, we will discover what it is about you and your personal brand that makes you unique. Then, we work with that.
Things I LOVE
Hello, I’m Julia…
It’s probably safe to assume I love portrait photography, but you might want to learn a little more about me.
After all, if I’m going to take your portrait you probably want to know who you’re dealing with.
When I was a child, I fell in love with photography through disposable cameras, point-and-shoot systems, and eventually my dad’s fancy DSLR.
I managed to find something I loved, and in 2012 I was accepted into a 3-year Bachelor Degree at RMIT University, where I learnt everything from studio lighting to high end retouching.
Throughout the past 10 years, I’ve fallen in love with travelling, explored underwater photography (including photographing humpback whales), and started my business, in 2018.
Outside of photography, I adore my dog Felix – a cheeky, black fluffy pup with a huge personality. I’m not big on huge parties, but enjoy a quiet breakfast out or dinner with friends.
As a bit of a dork myself, I’m easygoing, non-judgemental, and very accepting – you have nothing to worry about by being yourself in front of me. I love helping people learn to love photographs of themselves, and truly believe our uniqueness is what makes each of us amazing.
Awards | Qualifications | Publications | Collections
- 2020, Silver Award for image Calf in the Rise Photography Awards
- 2020, 7 Bronze Awards for various images in the Rise Photography Awards.
- 2019, Highly Commended in the Animal Category, in the Capture Magazine Top Emerging Photographers competition.
- 2019, Silver Award for image Calf in the Portrait Conference Competition.
- 2019, Two Bronze Awards in the Rise Photography Awards
- 2018, Highly Commended in the Landscape Category, in the Capture Magazine Top Emerging Photographers competition, for series ‘Stillness & Reflection’.
- 2018, Launched Julia Nance Portraits
- 2017, Highly Commended in the Art category in the 2017 Capture Magazine Top Emerging Photographers competition, for series Young Poise.
- 2015, Finalist Capture Magazine’s Top Emerging Photographer’s Competition – Advertising category.
- 2014, Winner Sally Brownbill Folio Consultancy Award.
- 2014, Winner for Two Girls Building, Abbotsford. RMIT Enchanted Competition.
- 2014, Graduated from RMIT University Bachelor of Arts (Photography) with Distinction.
- 2012, Runner Up in the Yarra Ranges Council Photographic competition.
- 2011, Awarded Dux of the Arts – Tintern Schools.
- 2011, Award for Studio Arts – Tintern Schools.
- 2014, BA Arts (Photography), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, graduated with Distinction.
- Over 9 years of experience in studio lighting and photography.
- More than 10 years of experience in photographing people and portraits.
- More than 10 years of experience with Adobe Photoshop and retouching.
- 2021, Featured in Shutterturf’s top portrait photographers in Melbourne
- 2020, Image Fluke Featured in Capture Magazine’s The Annual 2020 Edition, Travel Category.
- 2018, Image featured on the Nikon Australia Instagram and Facebook Page.
- 2018, Written Article. Featured on ‘This Woman Can‘ website.
- 2018, Images and interview double page feature in Tintern Grammar School Magazine ‘Factis‘ (print and digital copies)
- 2017,Images and written article featured in Fiji Airways in flight magazine Fiji Time May/June issue. Printed and digital copies.
- 2017,Image featured in the National Geographic Your Shot Daily Dozen, January 13, 2017.
- 2017,Image featured on ‘Discover Ocean’ Instagram account.
- 2016, Image Jonathan from the series Lovers chosen for inclusion in The Annual magazine by Capture (Emerging Category, published in Hard copy and electronic editions).
- 2014, Image Swan chosen for inclusion in The Annual magazine edition by Capture (student category, published in hard copy and in iPad edition).
- 2012, Yarra Ranges Council magazine front cover.
- 2014, 2 pieces in the Tintern Schools permanent art collection. Swan, The Writer.
- 2014, 3 pieces in the Two Girls Building permanent collection, Abbotsford. Swan, Resignation, Lift.
- 2014, 1 piece in the private collection of Peter Cahill, art collector and Director of the Domain Hill Property Group: Swan.
- 2014, RMIT Graduate exhibition RAW.
- 2013, RMIT Second year photography exhibition.
- 2012, RMIT First Visions photography exhibition.
- 2011, Tintern Schools Year 12 Art Exhibition.